Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Creamy salsa chicken

I've made this a few times this fall, and it's been a big success, even with the toddler! With a new baby in the house, I've become a fan of crockpot cooking. Just dump everything in the slow-cooker in the morning, and forget it until it's time for dinner.

We usually eat it as burritos the first night, and eat the leftovers over brown rice. Make sure you check the meat case when you're at the store: my SuperTarget almost always has coupons ($1.50 to $3 off) on meat that has a sell-by date a couple days away. This is when I stock up and freeze almost everything, I just keep some in the fridge to cook that night/the next day. You can keep the flavors interesting by using different salsas. I picked up a jar of peach salsa, and another one with artichoke. Can't wait to try them!

- 2-4 chicken breasts (could use another cut, it's just what I have in the freezer)
- 1/2 bag of frozen corn (about 2-3 cups I guess?)
- 1 jar of salsa
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 to 1 brick cream cheese (I use either full fat or 1/3 less fat, it just depends on what I have in the fridge)

Put everyhing in the crockpot, and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Ta-da! Easy peasy! I've made it with the cream cheese added at the beginning, and added towards the end, and it tastes just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment